Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

Start at the Beginning

I've been learning Scottish Gaelic since around the middle of Summer this year, and I'd like to start sharing what I've been learning on my blog now. The only site I could find to learn Gaelic, was Mango Languages, and as I've been learning I've been writing down the words and phrases in a notebook, so I can look back. Besides, writing stuff down helps burn it into my memory. Now I've decided to also write what I've been learning on my blog, so you can follow me in my goal to become a fluent speaker of the Scottish Gaelic language.

(Because each chapter can be quite large, I'll be doing them in different parts, and the start of a new chapter will be clearly indicated)


Chapter One: Greetings, Gratitude, and Goodbyes

  *  Hello (Good day) -- Latha math
-Pronunciation: la-a mah

  *  Day -- Latha
-Pronunciation: laa

  *  Good -- Math
-Pronunciation: mahh

"Latha math" is the standard greeting in Scottish Gaelic. You can address it to anyone at any time of the day, and it can also be used to wish someone a good day when you part company. You may also hear the greeting "Halò."

  *  Afternoon -- Feasgar
-Pronunciation: FESKur

In Scottish Gaelic, the word "feasgar" refers to any part of the day between lunchtime and nightfall, so it corresponds to both "afternoon" and "evening."

  *  Good afternoon -- Feasgar math
-Pronunciation: FESKur mahh

*Feminine
  *  Morning -- Madainn
-Pronunciation: MA-Teen

*Feminine
  *  Good morning -- Madainn mhath
-Pronunciation: MA-Teen vahh

Did you notice that the word "math" changed to "mhath" after "madainn"? This is because "madainn" is feminine. In English, things can be "he," "she," or "it" depending on weather they are male, female, or neither. In Gaelic, there is no "it": all things are considered to be either masculine or feminine. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell if a word is masculine or feminine, you just have to remember the gender of each word. One clue is that feminine words often change the sound of a following adjective, which is indicated by adding an "h" after the first letter.

*Feminine
  *  Night -- Oidhche
-Pronunciation: OI-hye

*Feminine
  *  Good night -- Oidhche mhath
-Pronunciation: OI-hye vahh

  *  I am well -- Tha mi gu math
-Pronunciation: ha mi gu MAHH

  *  Be -- Bi
-Pronunciation: bee

  *  Am, Is, or Are -- Tha
-Pronunciation: ha

No comments:

Post a Comment